Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Yank missing the Yankees


For as long as I can remember, I have always associated the month of March with the college basketball Madness that ensues.

Right before this year's tournament, my editor, one the few Americans in the office, told me that watching and obsessing about the NCAA Tournament is one of the first things to fall by the wayside when living in the desert.

The games are on TV in the middle of the night so viewership is way down. Actually picking the brackets is like shaving in the dark. I did not watch a single game this season. Pathetic.

Regardless, I am still within the Top 3 in our 20-person office pool. A few weeks ago when the brackets came out, I had to explain to several people the whole concept behind the tournament seeds and how Florida Gulf Coast won't win a single game.

"Which team does Michael Jordan play for?"

"Gonzaga? Is that the school's real name?"

"Aaron, you said you went to James Madison, does that mean you picked them to win the whole thing?"

See, the Brits I work with put all their allegiance toward the team that is closest to the town they grew up in. So naturally, they thought the JMU Dukes were my team and that I bleed Purple and Gold (Is that our school colors, I can't remember?)




Just the other day, I was tracking MLB Opening Day online and reading about Bryce Harper going yard twice in the Nationals home opener. When I looked up from my computer, I watched as a fellow Yank sports hack, Steve, was explaining in detail to some Brits in our office what a Kareem Abdul-Jabbar hook shot looked like.

Ugh. I miss America sports.

Don't get me wrong, I now know a lot about the professional football leagues all across Europe and am just scratching the surface of what cricket is. I have this amazing experience to thank for that.

But I do miss the feeling of drinking a tall beer, sitting in the outfield stands under the sunshine and watching CC Sabathia throw some high heat.

For the record, I picked Louisville to win it all. If they do so, then I will scoop up a cool Dh1,400 off my basketball-savvy international colleagues. So at least I got that going for me. That, and the upcoming fantasy football office league. No, Manchester United will not be involved in that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? The floor is yours...
Leave your comments here.