Thursday, December 5, 2013

Life struggles all Expats understand

I usually try not to waste my time with all the buzzfeed links that pop up on facebook but this one about Expats and their common struggles caught my eye and seemed to make some sense.

I've essentially been an expat since 2009 and even though I do love America, the adventures abroad are getting more interesting everyday and I'm glad to be on the move.




I'm a better person because of traveling. My wife Miranda shares the passion and we just feel we have to strike while the iron is hot. That intense urge to travel continues to build inside each of us and it's something we really enjoy because we can share it together.

Sure, there are daily struggles living in another country. There is no denying that. But every hurdle we get past makes us stronger in the long run.

As for our unexplained desire to see the world, I think it all goes back to the famous quote: "The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know."

In essence, visiting foreign places makes us hungry for more. The world is so huge and we've seen just a tiny piece of it. Some places are rubbish; some are amazing. But we will never know for sure unless we see it for yourselves. The options are endless.

So for good or ill, I implore everyone to get out there. Whether it is across an ocean, to the other side of your own country or simply to the next town over. The ups and downs may overwhelm you but at the very least, when you really look back on everything, it's all about the ride.

Or I can just let my man Anthony Bourdain explain. He said it best:

“Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life - and travel - leaves marks on you. Most of the time, those marks - on your body or on your heart - are beautiful. Often, though, they hurt.”

2 comments:

  1. Hi Aaron,
    Love your blog! I'm about to start my own adventure in Abu Dhabi in few months with my wife and future baby daughter (expected in April)! I have been going all over the internet for expats' views on living in Abu Dhabi especially those from the US, untill I found your blog and it sure helped a lot and made me even more enthausiatic about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Wael, thanks for your feedback. If you have any questions about the UAE, please do not hesitate to ask. Safe travels. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? The floor is yours...
Leave your comments here.