Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Barber shop or gents salon?

Ever since I stopped hiking the Appalachian Trail in 2009, I have proudly sported a beard and mustache. So when news got around to my friends that I was moving to the Middle East, the first response from the witty ones was that I would fit right in because of my facial hair preference.

Well, I have to admit it: they were right.

I am not a big fan of racially or regionally profiling someone just based on their appearance. But it works for the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), a federal agency with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, so it must be OK. Right?


Why do most Middle Eastern men sport the beard? I threw the question toward one of The National columnists, Ali Al Saloom, and after a lot of back-and-forth, this is what he came up with...

"We relate it to wisdom, because religious figures in all the religions are known for their beards: the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) and also the prophets Moses and Jesus. If I shaved my beard off, my family and friends wouldn't turn against me, but they would probably tease me to let me know of their disapproval, even if it looks good, which I'm sure it does since I'm so handsome. That said, I've had a beard since I could grow one."

In a land where mustache whiskers are evident on most elementary school children, the gents salon reigns supreme.

So there are a couple shops at the bottom of my building, which is actually pretty cool. There are a few coffee spots (including Starbucks), a burger joint, a place for women to buy the most lavish and stylish abayas and then there's also the almighty gents salon.

What exactly is a gents salon? I guess you could call it the UAE's equivalent to Sportclips but instead of sports on the TVs, they are usually watching some daytime soap that I can't even understand because it's in Arabic. Instead of cute ladies wearing matching referee jerseys cutting and massaging your head, they have Arab men that say, "Sure boss -- no problem" to anything you ask them.

Think of it like a refurbished old-school American barber shop from the 1950's with old men hanging around and a checkered floor. But in the UAE, the beards get more attention than the actual hair on your head.


These days, I've noticed the facial hair style among most Emiratis tends to be very short and neat. Straight lines with plenty of attention to detail.





Back at my building, there are three guys -- all Syrians -- that work at the gents salon and we are all on a 'waving hello' basis every time I walk by, which gives me crazy street credit. Though all three have shaved and shaped my facial hair at one time or another, my favorite is Ali as we have developed a budding friendship.

I love talking with people from different parts of the world and there is no better time to chat than when a Syrian man is holding a long blade next to your neck.

We have discussed my wedding, the weather and local sports. But I have not brought up the situation in Syria just yet. Though I desperately want to get his opinion on the crisis, I want to be respectful.

Most times, when I walk by and there is no one in their shop, I usually see them on Skype presumably chatting with their loved ones back home. Like most people working in this country, they are saving their earnings to support a family.

But me? I'm just blowing my money on expensive face shaves and Starbucks coffee. And those are the debts I incur before I even leave my building. You should see what happens when I go to the mall, where most of women working in the shops stare at me because they think I am an Emirati just based on my snazzy beard trim.  

1 comment:

  1. Loved the way you have shared your views thanks alot for sharing will surely bookmarked this wonderful resource!
    barber shop online

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? The floor is yours...
Leave your comments here.