Sunday, November 30, 2014

International vibe on Turkey Day in Abu Dhabi


As I looked around the table at Thanksgiving, I couldn't help but crack a smile.

At first, I felt homesick because my family was gathered back in Herndon, Virginia and they had just started on their appetizers at about the same time we were trying to fight off the dreaded half-drunk, half-turkey consumption nap weariness.


But then, I felt that international vibe that you only get when you travel. That sense that you are surrounded by other like-minded people, who want to learn new customs, ask questions, and eat.

By the end of the meal, I felt like comparing passports with the people around me.

On this glorious American holiday, we had one Brit, one Frenchie, a Palestinian and two Indians (actually from India -- not the folks who broke bread with the white settlers) sitting at the table inside my apartment. For some, it was their first Thanksgiving and we were happy to host them and expose them to such a proud tradition.

My wife and I are American and don't worry, the US of A was well represented. Even though we had an eclectic group that would make the Model UN proud, to my left sat a US Navy SEAL.


I had not really spoke to Curtis in about five years. He reached out to me when he arrived in Abu Dhabi about two months ago. I quickly lost track of him because he had to go on one of those secret desert missions. You know, it was the hush-hush kind of stuff.

But he returned and messaged me two days before the feast. I couldn't think of a better way to honor America then to host a service member in my home for Thanksgiving.

I made sure to introduce Curtis to the rest of my international contingent. They all had heard of the US Navy SEALs but had never really met one in real life before. I think it was a pure case of America overload for them.




Later on in the evening, Curtis was supposed to tell them what the true meaning of Thanksgiving was but red wine took over and before we knew it, everyone was involved in a hotly-contested game of pin-the-tail-on-the-turkey.

Because isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about? Having fun with loved ones?

My wife cooked up a storm. We had family on the Skype screen. Loved ones from around the world were sitting at our table. I tell you, it does not get any better than that.

Happy Thanksgiving from Abu Dhabi!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? The floor is yours...
Leave your comments here.