Tuesday, April 14, 2015

A food truck? In Abu Dhabi??





In America, food trucks are the real deal.

These mobile eateries literally drive up and park next to the people and keep the masses satisfied with delicious food and drink. They started to pick up on the West Coast but have now consumed just about every major metropolitan city in the country.

Great movies like Chef have documented the rise of food trucks in America.

Editor's Note: the movie also has an amazing soundtrack so do yourself a favor and get a free listen on YoutTube.

Like many things in the Western Hemisphere, I knew it would be just be a matter of time before this latest culinary craze trickles down to the UAE.

Introducing the 21 Emirati Cafe food truck:


I apologize in advance. Due to a broken foot -- I will explain that story later -- I could not conduct my normal investigation nor did I prod the workers with inquiries.

Just a few of the many questions we all have:

- What does the "21" mean? Is there an age restriction to dine here?
- Do you guys serve Emirati food? Did the country's founders snack on nachos?
- What is business like? I can see you are very busy...
- How can we keep track of where you will be? Are you going to hit any huge music festivals this summer?
- Is that a black velvet rope next to the window? So luxurious.

Instead of an interview, I snapped a few photos and then hobbled away in disgrace. But after research online, I found they do have a Four Square account, whatever that is?

I have seen the truck perched off Sheikh Zayed Road (Salam Street) near the Eastern Mangroves but during this particular encounter, I found them in the parking lot of the Marina Mall. As the picture shows, foot traffic was very heavy that night.


Has there been any other sightings? Please, do tell.

I really hope the food truck culture picks up in Abu Dhabi. The 21 Emirati Cafe is a pioneer in the local scene and as soon as I get in there for a taste, I'll be sure to update my local readers on the flavor. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? The floor is yours...
Leave your comments here.