Friday, August 1, 2014

Dragon Mart in Dubai is outstanding

A fellow sports hack at my office, Rich, picked me up at 9.45am on a Wednesday and the plan was to make a flat-out burn through the desert at top speeds. We did not stop until we hit one of the finest establishments this side of the Euphrates River.

They call it the Dragon Mart. 

You see, the Dragon Mart is like a cramped, indoor flea market with a pulse. Asian vendors are packed in there like sardines and they are selling everything from fake crystal chandeliers to white porcelain toilets.

It attracts only the most lucrative patrons and savvy consumers as business is bustling these days. Especially during the Holy Month. Look how busy it was. Standing-room only, wall-to-wall commerce in there...



We traveled to this amazing complex so I could buy a cheap mountain bike. I did some negotiating with the fine gentlemen at UpTen Bikes and even though they swindled me for a broken helmet and some inferior rear lights, I walked away with a new bike and I was ready to roll.

Living in this country, my wife and I have become almost immune to the constant stares from other people when we walk by but the sight of me pushing a new mountain bike, with a child's helmet atop my thunder-dome head drew widespread scrutiny.

But it was OK because I was in good company.



Rich is an outstanding Japanese-American (who loves his beer) so I carried some heavy street credit as we meandered through the narrow walkways of the Dragon Mart. Outdoor plants, sewing machines, heavy-duty drilling equipment? They have it all and then some.

From this aerial view, the actual structure of the building is designed to look like ... well, a dragon, I guess. So be sure to visit this fine establishment the next time you find yourself in Dubai. Good people, great prices and lots of head scratching.




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? The floor is yours...
Leave your comments here.