Saturday, October 17, 2015

Having a baby in UAE: #TheStoryOfHarper


hash·tag

ˈhaSHtaɡ/

noun (on social media sites such as Twitter) a word or phrase preceded by a hash or pound sign (#) and used to identify messages on a specific topic.


So you're telling me that I need to create a hashtag for my baby daughter? OK, I'll do it.

In this very weird world consumed by social media and the debilitating disorder of FoMO ("fear of missing out"), I felt the only responsible and humane thing to do was create a hashtag for my baby so friends and family could be aided while they scour the Internet for images and videos of baby Harper.

And so, on September 5, 2015, at precisely 7.23pm, which was approximately five and half hours after my daughter was born, the hashtag #TheStoryOfHarper entered the world wide web (a.k.a. www) and of course, the Internet has never been the same.

Realizing that your baby daughter needs a hashtag is the first step. Congratulations, you've already made it this far. The next very important task is determining what the actual hashtag will be. How will it represent your new baby? Will it go viral? How long before it's trending on Twitter (*fingers crossed)?

In our experience, these were some early front-runners:

#OurLittleAngel

#MyPoopyPrincess

#PrettyInPink

#TheCutestFreakingBabyInTheWholeEntireWorld

Surprisingly enough, all those hashtags and many more like them, were already nabbed by other social media-hungry and over-obsessive parents. What a bunch of jerks.

In the end, we settled on #TheStoryOfHarper. Because, basically, we thought it sounded cool. It appears the good people on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram agree.








For any expecting parents in or around the UAE: If you have any direct questions about what it was like to give birth in Abu Dhabi, the different hospital options, doctors, the access to drugs, birth certificate shenanigans, etc. please send me an email (aarongray2337@gmail.com) and I will respond promptly. Trust me, we know what it's like to not get straight-forward answers from trained professionals here. All I can do is tell you exactly how our situation played out and offer my wholehearted advice. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? The floor is yours...
Leave your comments here.