Thursday, January 24, 2013

All hail the king!

So I took a casual day trip to Dubai last week to check out the sights and was enjoying a flat-out burn through the desert when it dawned on me: I live in one of those weirdo countries where they portray photos and statues of their political leaders everywhere.

A scary thought, indeed.

If people get bored with the scenery of a sandy horizon while driving, there's always time to pay homage to the founder of the country, Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan.




Jeez, is this where I live now? What kind of dictator runs this sand box? At what point did this vein tyrant and his loyal followers decide to plaster the highway with his image?

It briefly made me sick to my stomach. After I passed the huge picture of the late president, I closed my eyes for a few seconds and started to wonder.

Could I really live in a society like this? I didn't vote for this guy. In fact, no one did. 

Less than a mile down the road, I opened my eyes again and noticed the next highway picture. And then all my previous fears were put to rest...



1 comment:

  1. Question: When in the desert, looking out over the vast desert terrain, as one might look out over a Nebraska corn field or from an Atlantic Ocean beachfront, just how far can the human eye see?


    Answer: One can see the sun each day or even the moon each nite, no?

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? The floor is yours...
Leave your comments here.