Tuesday, January 1, 2013

What am I doing here?


That's a good question.

This is my very first blog post and I don't really know where to start. Well, if you're reading this, there's a good chance you may have also come across my previous blog, Living In Paradise, which documented the three blurry years I lived in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands.

On that note: Cheers!

Living in the Caribbean was one of the most amazing experiences of my life and I knew it would take a big project -- something grand -- to get me to actually leave paradise.

After I came back from covering the 2012 Olympic Games in London last summer for the V.I. Daily News, my ears will officially open to new projects, jobs and life experiences. I never expected things to happen so fast.

Abu Dhabi came calling and I had to accept the charges. I now work as a sports production journalist for The National, an English language newspaper, published in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

Many of you have asked about where am I exactly located. Really, where the hell am I? No, it's not Dubai. Sorry to get your hopes up. But I am an hour's drive from Dubai, as Abu Dhabi is actually the capital of the UAE.

To be honest, I had to open an atlas when the job opportunity came up. For those of you still scratching your head, here's a quick geography lesson.

Yes, I'm right on the water. The locals call it the Arabian Gulf because they think 'Persian Gulf' refers to those folks to the north. Yes, those crazy kids from Iran are less than 100 miles away.

Yikes! The terrorists! What are we going to do?

Calm down. The UAE is an amazing place and if you continue to follow this expatriate, I will show you how great it can be. There will also be bad times, funny encounters and random weirdness.

It's the first time I have lived outside of the United States so stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Aaron. I'm Raul, from Barcelona.
    First time I read to and everything was because you did'nt vote to the Ballon d'Or. I'm a journalist, too, an sport journalist in Barcelona TV (the city council TV station).
    My curiosity found you and I thing after your experience in the Virgin Islands (it sounds very nive "Living in Paradise") it seems really interesting, and exciting and cool.
    I never mind to have one of this experiences.
    I would follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are really lots of places to go in Abu Dhabi. Also, there are many tourist attractions that are just waiting to be seen by tourists. You will enjoy your stay there eventually.


    property shop investment



    ReplyDelete

What do you think? The floor is yours...
Leave your comments here.