Wednesday, January 16, 2013

What up, dawg?

In the U.S. Virgin Islands, there is a large fear of dogs among the locals. When I walked down the street with my beautiful ladies, Hunter and Sydney, safely secured to a leash, West Indians walking toward me would gingerly cross the street to avoid a possible encounter with these snarling beasts...








The reason they came to mind is because yesterday was their seventh birthday. It feels like only last week when they were dropped off at my house in a laundry basket as they immediately found a special place in my heart.

So sappy. Yes, I know.

Each of them could fit in the palm of my hand back then. It was sort of a joke that I would actually accept them as pets in the first place. I was young, gave very little thought about it. But turns out, it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

After terrorizing my neighborhood in Annapolis, Maryland for five years -- they made two separate appearances in the local dog pound -- they came with me to St. Thomas and embraced island life by killing countless iguanas.

Before my move to the Middle East, I did some research and it was almost not feasible to bring them to Abu Dhabi with me. The price just to fly them here was astronomical and if I stayed just a year or two, it wouldn't be worth it, financially.

Instead, these lovely ladies checked in for early retirement at my parents' home in Herndon, Virginia. They have a large backyard to run in and from what I've been told, they have not got into too much mischief.

Back in Abu Dhabi, I've been here almost a month and I have not seen a single dog. Zero.

I wanted to find out what was up with the lack of pets so I turned to a guidebook about this fair city: "It would be great if some newcomers had some sensitivity toward our culture, too. Our attitudes toward animals are not the same."

OK. I see you are open to discussion on the topic.

It continues: "We love animals but we usually keep them outside for hygienic reasons."

In the summer time, it gets upward of 110 degrees in Abu Dhabi. That is like parking my car in a sauna and leaving the windows up while my dogs are chilling in the backseat.


And finally, it closes with: "We respect all of God's creatures, even pigs, we just don't eat that particular animal."

Is that why there is no Outback Steakhouse?

1 comment:

  1. Eight years old, 1/20/13. Great fun, doing excellent, just returned from 4 OBX days running the beach/jumping in the cold surf.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? The floor is yours...
Leave your comments here.