Thursday, January 17, 2013

Deserted city streets

So you want a little alone time in Abu Dhabi, huh?

My suggestion is to get up on Friday morning and go for a run or a light stroll through the city. It was only 8:30 a.m. today and I was completely alone on city streets that were usually full of cars driving erratically or honking and people walking around.

Remember that scene from Vanilla Sky?



Well, I just got back from an early-morning Friday run and if you replace the skyscrapers in Times Square with dusty apartment buildings half the size, the Vanilla Sky scene played out in my neighborhood this morning.

Except I didn't start screaming like a little bitch.

One of these days I'm going to realize that Friday and Saturday are considered the weekend here. That means the work week starts on Sunday, which has made me a sleepless vampire to start out each week because I have been forced to watch live NFL football at ungodly hours.

On Friday mornings, Abu Dhabi is a ghost town. I kind of like it but it still confused me.

I had to get right down to brass tacks.

"Hey, where is everybody?" I asked the annoying Starbucks barista, who always asks me way too many questions when I walk by.

"It's Friday my man, everyone is sleeping or staying at home," he barked back like I was some kind of oblivious tourist. "Would you like to try our double chocolate latte today?"

"No, leave me alone," I muttered and walked away.

So the expression T.G.I.F. means nothing here. "Thank Goodness It's Thursday" has a better ring to it anyway. Looks like someone has a case of the Sundays? Sounds like a joke a priest would say.
 

1 comment:

  1. It might not sound or look weird but it sure do feels like it. Friday has become the new weekend.


    property shop real estate

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? The floor is yours...
Leave your comments here.